The Doctors is a TV show carried on CBS featuring four doctors that discuss current medical topics and new technologies. And yes one of the doctors you may recognize as “The Bachelor”. Recently they featured the technology of the optomap® Retinal Exam. Total Eye care is one of approximately 3000 offices nationwide that utilizes this great technology. Check out the video below. For more information on the Optomap Retinal Exam check out the Total Eye Care website.
NUTRITION TIPS FOR YOUR EYE SIGHT
(Colleyville, TX) March 11, 2009 – Doctors of optometry see millions of patients a year and are the primary providers of eye and vision care in America. This month, in celebration of National Save Your Vision Month, Total Eye Care, the American Optometric Association (AOA) and Kemin Health are educating Americans on the many preventative actions they can take to protect their sight, including eating right. More than 43 million Americans suffer from cataracts or age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the two leading causes of vision loss and blindness. Research indicates that there is a strong correlation between good nutrition and the prevention of these age-related eye diseases. Eating foods rich in key nutrients – antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, essential fatty acids, vitamins C and E and the mineral zinc – can help protect eye sight and vision.
Fast Facts On Macular Degeneration
- In a recent survey conducted by the AOA, nearly three-fourths (72%) of respondents age 55 and older began noticing changes in their vision between the ages of 40 and 45.
- To cope with vision loss or various eye problems, less than one-third (29%) of respondents are increasing their nutrient intake for healthy eyes.
- Many Americans (48%) still believe that carrots are the best food for eye health, when, in fact, spinach and other dark leafy greens are the healthiest foods for the eyes because they naturally contain large amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin.
- In order to maintain healthy eyes, studies show that 10 mg of lutein should be consumed each day or one cup of cooked spinach four times a week.
- More than 50% of Americans do not take in the recommended dosage of vitamin C per day.
- One cup (8 fl oz) of orange juice per day contains 81.6 mg/serving of vitamin C, more than enough to help offset some eye diseases.
Says Dr. Richard Driscoll “In addition to increasing the daily intake of antioxidants, smokers can greatly decrease their risk for macular degeneration by stopping smoking”.
Available Now at Total Eye Care, a Non Surgical Treatment for Beautiful Eyelashes.
Latisse™ is a prescription medication that makes your very own lashes longer, thicker and fuller. Latisse™ is 0.03% Bimatoprost, which is the same active ingredient as Allergan’s glaucoma medication, Lumigan™. Doctors found that one of the side effects of Lumigan™ was an increase in the darkness, thickness, length and number of eyelashes. Lumigan™, a prescription eye medication not a cosmetic, grew impressive eyelashes in men and women alike.
Originally, Latisse™ was intended to be used in the treatment of hypotrichosis (the medical term for inadequate or insufficient eyelashes) in cancer patients that had lost their eyelashes while undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, but has now been approved by the FDA as an eyelash beautifier.
Visit the Total Eye Care Latisse™ Information Center for more before and after photos and links to schedule a consultation to see if Latisse™ is right for you.